Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Wednesday Scrapple

 

I've written about the joy in hearing a song for the first time, in a long time, and knowing all the words.  This week's entry:  "Gold" by John Stewart.  I heard it during a Sunday broadcast of an old Casey Kasem "American Top 40."  How I really enjoy those!  It spotlighted a week from the summer of 1979-- the summer between high school and college for me, a great time.

Believe it or not, there was a time when I really liked summer.

Taylor Swift broke an attendance record for the football stadium in Pittsburgh, more than 74-thousand.  I don't understand this on so many levels.  

It seems like the Oakland A's move to Las Vegas is a done deal.  I have faith in Major League Baseball and its commissioner to somehow screw it up.

It would be nice to see teams in Nashville and Charlotte.

I marvel at the Interstate 95 rebuild in Philadelphia.  We can do things when our backs are to the wall.  

Speaking of construction, a horrible section of North Main Avenue in Scranton has been re-paved.  Thank heaven.

The Luzerne County district attorney blames an inexperienced staff for the paper shortage at polling places in November.  The machines use paper.  Who knew?

Massive heat in the southern half of Texas, and there are new fears the power grid could fail.  Have we learned nothing over the years?

Golf without Tiger Woods is boring.  I just couldn't get interested in the US Open.

Gas station food at 2:00 am is one of the great joys of life.

Thanks to all of you who offered best wishes on my 25th anniversary at WNEP.