Thursday, December 11, 2014

A Wise Choice

I heard the eight finalists for Time magazine's person of the year late Tuesday night, and I immediately settled on my choice-- Ebola fighters.

However, I didn't think that would be Time's selection.  If I had to bet, I would have said the Ferguson rioters.  A case could also be made for Russian president Vladimir Putin.

Please note that Time's criteria is, loosely defined, someone who has inflicted change.  Hitler, Stalin, and Khrushchev were past winners.  Putin got the title in 2007, and the case could be made for a second shot.

When it comes down to it, "Person of the Year" will be forgotten about tomorrow, but the work of the Ebola fighters cannot be diminished, underestimated, or anything like that.  These people slogged through filth to save strangers, and maybe even save countries, continents, the planet...

Some Time choices, over the years, have been questionable.  The editors got it right this time.