Monday, February 20, 2017

Holding On To Yesterday

I admit there are times when I live in the past, especially when it comes to broadcasting.

I miss the days when every radio station in town did at least a little news, and some did a lot of news.

I miss the days my college radio station trained the broadcasters of tomorrow, rather than just played endless music.

I miss the days I wrote out out my scripts on a legal pad or a steno pad, and I was a radio pup running from story to story.

I miss the days before network news people labeled everything as "breaking news."

I miss the days when CNN actually did news.

I miss the days when TV shows had opening themes and credits.

I miss the days when The Big Bang Theory was funny.

I miss all those daytime game shows on the networks.

Thank heaven for YouTube, so I can watch old Tom Snyder shows.

Here is what really triggered today's blog entry.  The NFL Network recently played a bunch of old Super Bowls.  Many were broadcast by the team of Pat Summerall and John Madden.  Holy Cow!  those guys were good.  I knew it then.  I appreciate them more now because most of today's broadcast teams leave a lot to be desired.  Joe Buck and Troy Aikman are very good.  The same goes for Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth.  The rest?  Meh.

Summerall had the voice and the delivery.  He didn't talk a lot and made every word count.  Plus, he knew exactly how to set up Madden.  John Madden did talk a lot, and he made it entertaining.  Enthusiasm, without going over the top.  No hype.  They celebrated the game, and called out those who came up short.  Summerall and Madden might have been the best team ever, and I miss them.

You can look it up.  A web site called AwfulAnnouncing.com listed all the legends who have recently stepped aside or who are lessening their workload.  There are some big names, and they seem to be exiting the stage all at once.  Yes, there is some fine young talent on the way up., and I'm keeping an open mind.

However, I can't help but look back and marvel at what we had.