Monday, February 27, 2017

I Tried

My days of getting excited over prime time television are long gone.  I'm not invested in anything right now, and it's been that way for a while.

I was a fan of the early years of The Big Bang Theory.  The show, unfortunately, morphed into another bickering couples comedy.  Pass.

The Blacklist started off strong, and I've always been a James Spader fan.  The show took a creepy, gory and disturbing turn.  On top of that, the plot got way too complicated.  Pass again.

I think the last prime time show I watched religiously was Scrubs, and that included the very mediocre final season.

I did enjoy Wings and Frasier.  Friends?  No way.  Wrong demographic.  The Seinfeld whiners was like fingernails on a chalkboard.

I'm not a TV snob.  Match Game reruns still entertain me beyond belief.  I can watch the America's Test Kitchen people rip apart a chicken, though I rarely cook.  Some of the things on Antenna TV and MeTV make me chuckle, and I've spent many a morning with Andy, Barney, Opie and Aunt Bee.

My eyes and ears perked up when I saw a new offering on CBS, Superior Donuts.  Any show with Judd Hirsch is worth sampling.  Long story short, Hirsch is a grumpy old man who runs a Chicago donut shop.  He takes on a hip, young kid as a helper, and let the laugh ensue.  Unfortunately, there are no laughs here, in spite of Katey Sagal's role as a Chicago cop.  I gave it three episodes.  That's enough.  I'm done.  It's just not funny.

Superior Donuts reminded me of a modern day Chico and the Man.  The year was 1974.  Jack Albertson plays Ed Brown, a crusty, grumpy old man who gives a young and hip Freddie Prinze a job.

TV shows never die.  They just get recycled.