Tuesday, May 8, 2018

On Second Thought...

A few weeks ago, I noted here how I was actually happy Brett Favre botched his Monday Night Football audition because being a broadcaster, news or sports, isn't as easy as it looks.  I have no animosity toward Brett Favre.   I was just trying to illustrate a point.
ESPN found another rookie for its MNF booth in the fall, Jason Witten.  He retired from the Dallas Cowboys Thursday, and signed with the TV network.

It seems to be the trend.  Sign a big name.  Roll the dice.  CBS struck gold when it hired Tony Romo last year, and made him part of the number one team.  Romo worked out well, but I'm the conservative type.  I would have kept him away from the top games until he learned his craft.  ESPN was looking for a name.  Peyton Manning turned them down.  The move creates a lot of buzz for a package of games that doesn't draw the interest it once did.  

I hope it works out.  Jason Witten seems like a decent guy, and let's face it.  It's a football game-- not the nightly news.  I just can't get away from the belief that there are hundreds of people out there who have paid their dues and deserved the shot.