Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Listen to Norm!

 

Now-retired PBS master carpenter Norm Abram always hated brick steps and brick walkways.  He had solid reasoning.  Brick steps and walkways have many, many joints.  Joints can fail.  Water seeps in, and the ball game is over.

That brings us to today's topic.



It's a state road, so I assume it's a state project.  New crosswalks are going in on a street near my home.  This isn't brick.  I know that.  It's a stamped and colored pavement material.  However, there are joints before and after the faux brick strips.  Even though they will be sealed, it's a joint, and that's where the pavement is prone to breaking apart.

Pretty?  Kinda.

It just seems to me a couple stripes of paint could do the job more quickly, efficiently, cheaper, and with fewer problems, down the road, pardon the pun.  There is nothing like taking a recently paved road and slicing it up again.

I'll be sure to post pictures of the crack and pothole patching next year.

I'm just counting my blessings that they didn't install a roundabout.