Tuesday, October 25, 2022

The "A" Word

 

Today, the A stands for "awkward."  It's horrible when you are afflicted with it.  It can be charming on someone else.

I guess we are all awkward in some category.  For most, that category is social, especially in our younger years.  Some are lucky to shed it.  Others, myself included, carry it around a while longer.  Hey, there are worse things.

Moving on to someone else, the social awkwardness of the main characters in the early years of "The Big Bang Theory" was cute.  While we are not all geniuses, we all could relate.  The characters had to grow, and when they did, the show lost something for me.  I stopped watching.  I didn't need another bickering couples "comedy."

Staying with TV, Julia Child's awkwardness on camera was endearing.  Even though she possessed cooking skills the rest of us could only dream about, Julia had her moments.  You could see her squinting at the camera and the cue cards.  Some things in the kitchen went wrong.  She paused as she hunted for the right words.  She recovered and muddled through.  The awkwardness and imperfection were parts of what made Julia, Julia.

Awkwardness can also work against you.  There is a man on PBS who dies a grilling and smoking show.  I'm not a vegetarian.  I like burgers and dogs, along with chicken patties and nuggets.  On the other hand, a big hunk of bloody steak or prime rib does absolutely nothing for me.  In fact, it's just the opposite.  It makes me queasy.  Anyway, this guy is so awkward on camera, even though it's clear he knows his stuff, it makes me uncomfortable.  After a few minutes, my hand is on the remote.

Awkwardness can be your friend, or your enemy.