Wednesday, May 15, 2024

David Sanborn

 

I have to level with you.  I don't like jazz.  It's just not my thing.  I was still saddened by this week's passing of saxophonist David Sanborn.  We lost him to cancer.  Sanborn was 78.

I'll remember Sanborn for three things.

He often played with Paul Shaffer's band on David Letterman's NBC and CBS shows, and Sanborn helped that band blow the roof off the place.

Sanborn performed the theme on Tom Snyder's CBS "Late Late Show" and it was simply magnificent.

The third item has a local connection.

Sanborn had a Sunday morning jazz show syndicated to hundreds of radio stations across the country in the 80's and in to the early 90's.  Around here, Magic 93 carried it.  I worked at Magic's sister station, WARM.  For some reason, either Sanborn or the syndicator decided to stop doing the show.  I was at WARM the first Sunday morning Sanborn's show didn't air.  The phones went nuts!  People were angry the show was gone.  I explained to callers it was not a local decision.  The Sanborn jazz show simply no longer existed.  It's popularity certainly was an eye opener, at least to me

Even though I'm not a jazz fan, I do appreciate David Sanborn's contribution to the genre.