Thursday, May 23, 2024

I Missed You!

 

I've returned to the habit of long walks through a park on my days, off.  But, that is another story for another time.

After a recent very early morning stroll, I ducked into a near by supermarket for a few items.  I was sweaty and generally a mess.  My goal was to grab what I needed and run for the door.  Sadly, technology stood in my way.

I had three items in my basket.  I hoped for a quick scan at the self-service check out, the machines you love to hate, but they were down!  This was shortly after opening time, so I assume they were being rebooted and updated.  I never did get the reason.

It forced me to stand in a long line, at the only staffed check out, with several other shoppers.  A woman saw I had only a few items, so she allowed me to jump ahead of her.  I repaid the favor by screwing up the credit card key pad thingy, and delaying the process even longer.  By the way, I've become one of "those people."  I don't carry much cash, and I charge even the smallest of items.  It seems to be the thing to do these days.

The bottom line is this...  Please, give me the option of scan-and-go!