Thursday, July 11, 2013

Media Thursday

 
I neglected to mention yesterday that I caught a couple strong radio news efforts during Monday's trip to central Pennsylvania.  WHLM and WKOK.  Plus, WGRC has been making a strong effort for quite a while now.  I learned a long time ago that the stations that succeed are the ones that do a good job of reflecting their communities.  Yay!

Meredith Vieira will try a daytime TV talk show beginning in September of next year.  I'm sure she'll discover what the others already know.  It's not as easy as it looks.  People seem to like Vieira, and the show stands a better than average shot at success.  At least we won't have to listen to her whine about getting up at 4 AM for $6 million a year.

"The View" and FOX News Channel are altering their talent line ups.  Neither are my thing, so I'll pass on comment.

Former CNN anchor Soledad O'Brien is going to work for al Jazeera.  Now, she can add more shows no one will watch to her resume.

ESPN says its ratings are down by almost one-third this year.  The only reason I can think of is product overload.

The Washington Post is looking at publishing smaller editions.  Isn't the key to getting readers interested is give them more, not less?