Monday, July 8, 2013

Sold

Okay, I've commented on dozens of local businesses in this space over the years.  I'm no hypocrite, so let me carefully comment on my own.

WNEP and its parent company, Local TV, LLC, were sold to the Chicago Tribune last week.  The federal government still has to approve the deal.  That should take at least a few months.

The combined company will have more than forty television stations, coast to coast.

There is always a fear of the unknown.  The last few months, while the station was "on the block" have not been pleasant.  I've been through this several times before.  It never gets easier.  I've worked for some great companies and managers over the last 32 years.  I've worked for some bad ones.  You know who you are.

Keen industry observers will know Local TV and Tribune shared a working relationship over the last six years.  We know them.  They know us.  Tribune wants to increase its presence in television, and that sounds like a good thing.  Because of that relationship, this has the potential to be one of the easiest and most transparent transfers in the history of broadcasting.