Monday, July 15, 2013

Zimmerman

I will say what I always say after every controversial court verdict:  It's a court of law, not a court of justice.

You can spend days dissecting Saturday night's verdict in the George Zimmerman trial.

Yes, the prosecution could have put on a better case.  Yes, the defense succeeded in showing reasonable doubt.

You just wonder what could have happened if Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin minded their own business on that night in February of 2012.  Martin was no angel.  Neither was Zimmerman.  There is more than enough blame to go around, and like most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised at the verdict.  From what I saw and read, it looked a lot like manslaughter.  That was the outcome I expected.  Zimmerman goes free.  I saw it as a possibility, but I really didn't expect it.

It would be nice to strip race out of this, but it doesn't work that way.  I watched a lot of analysis Saturday night and Sunday morning.  It's clear we are still a divided nation.

If there's one thing that makes me happy through all of this is that most of the protests were peaceful and civilized.