Wednesday, May 27, 2015

PS

The PS refers to a revisiting of some recent blog topics.

A few people have commented on my "Old School" blog from a few weeks ago.  They thought I was a bit harsh.  I disagree.  I wasn't harsh enough.  You had to be there.

I spent a lot of that blog post commenting on decrepit buildings and backward ideas.  It's just a scratch of the surface.  I could write volumes on the awful library, the lack of help getting in to college, and the failure to do anything above the bare minimum.  The one man guidance department was laughable.  My typing teacher helped me the most.

And then, there's David Letterman.  As I said here, the last show didn't blow me away.  I watched it again, thinking that maybe I had missed something.  Nope.  It was a by the numbers broadcast.

Self deprecating opening monologue.  Check.
Wish successor well.  Check.
Classic clips.  Check.
Thank band.  Check.
Show appreciation for network and boss.  Check.
Closing song.  Check.
Photo/video montage.  Check.
Farewell speech.  Check.

Don't get me wrong.  Letterman's last show was fine.  He was the funniest guy to every hit late night.  I just thought it was missing something.  Craig Ferguson's last show back in December showed a lot more creativity and imagination.  Stephen Colbert's last show, also in December, was outstanding.

It just seemed to me Letterman wanted to do it and get it over with.