Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Stormtracker

 

My heart goes out to the people of Florida.  Beautiful state, but there is always that summer and fall danger of a visit from a hurricane.  This week, it's Ian.

As I've noted here just about every year, I can do without the TV hysterics and theatrics.

There is one aspect of hurricane coverage that continuously fascinates me and keeps me glued to my TV and computer screens, and that is the hurricane track maps and projections.  Updates from the National Hurricane Center come out four times a day, 5 and 11 am and pm.   

As the days pass, the cone of uncertainty becomes narrow.  The spaghetti models eventually come in to agreement, and people in the storm's path have ample time to get out of the way.

I still raise a skeptical eyebrow over super long range projections, but the hurricane people really can pinpoint a track, and we should be thankful for that.