Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Cheers

 

I was very saddened to read Kirstie Alley died the other day.  Cancer is a horrible disease, and 71 is far too young to go.  Alley was a talented, attractive and funny woman.

She has a place in my heart because she was a game show person, having appeared on Match Game and Password Plus in the 70's.

An earlier blog entry pointed out all the things that keep me out of the mainstream.  Today, we can add another.  I didn't like Cheers.

I thought the first few years were mildly amusing.  The Sam, Coach, and eventually Woody characters were likeable.  Diane became annoying, and Cliff was even worse.  Norm was a one joke character.

I will give Kirstie Alley credit for replacing an established character in a popular series and making it work.  That's tough to do, especially in a comedy.  Mike Farrell and Harry Morgan did it on MASH.   Woody Harrelson did it on Cheers.    I'm sure there are other success stories, although I can't recall them.

My sympathy is sent to Alley's family, friends and fans.