Friday, December 23, 2022

Top Ten: Before and After

 


Olyphant officials had been considering tearing down the old Tate Theater for quite a while.  The building was falling apart.  Demolition was the only option.  I took the photo above in mid May.

The demolition crew arrived October 24.  I took the photos you see below on the 26th.

After its theater days, the building was a well known pizza restaurant, then a Chinese restaurant, and finally a place to house a slot car layout.

A lot of people in the mid valley were sad to see the demolition.  Me?  Indifference-- at best.


I spent a lot of 6th grade lunches here.  I hated everything about 6th grade, so I didn't get any sad, warm and fuzzy feelings when the building came down.  I thought the pizza was average, and not particularly memorable.  It's all overshadowed by the miserable 6th grade experience.

When I wandered around the rubble back in October, I was surprised at how small the building seemed.  I remembered it as much bigger when I was a kid, but youth gives you a warped sense of scale.



It looks like there will be a pocket park here, maybe even a fountain.  It's too bad the building couldn't be saved.

Yes, two demolition days in this year's Top Ten.  It was a year for losing landmarks.

Tomorrow, more weather woes.