Wednesday, April 26, 2023

In Awe

 

I've touched on this before, and it's only become more intense.

The major league baseball season is off and running.  The NBA and NHL playoffs are underway.  There is an interesting golf tournament every weekend.  And, headlines and sports talk radio are dominated by the NFL.

It's that way all year, even during the off-season.  It's ramped up significantly this week because the four day NFL draft begins tomorrow night.

We are a football nation and I stand in awe of the power of the NFL.

I laugh when I hear baseball referred to as "America's Pastime."  Football left baseball in the dust a long time ago.  The NFL season is longer than ever, plus there are a number of spring and summer events that spur interest until the training camps open and the pre season games begin.

Talk show hosts still yammer on about Tom Brady.

It is marketing genius.  No other sport comes close.

While I won't watch the draft, I'll read the list of who goes where.  We put too much emphasis on this stuff, but it's good entertainment until things start, for real, in September.