Monday, April 17, 2023

The Rest of the Story

 

Let's establish a little foundation here.

I love radio, and I was lucky enough to do it for a long time.  I have been on the air since I was 17, if you count the Marywood College experience.  I drew a paycheck from WARM 590 from April 1981 to September 1991.  I still spend much more time listening to radio than watching television.

There was a little freelance work on a now defunct station in the early 90's.

Having said all of that, I jump at the chance to do radio guest appearances.  

I've been a guest on WILK a couple of times.  This past Thursday, I did an hour on Froggy 101, with Doc and Chewy.  

My spies told me that while Doc and I get along well, I wasn't among his favorite guests.  He felt I was one dimensional, only capable of telling old radio war stories.  I get that.  If you know the Inspector Luger character from "Barney Miller," that's me.

I was rather surprised when an invitation recently came my way.  It was to be my third time there.  Doc is well aware that I know how he feels.  It's all good.  When I entered the studio Thursday morning, I said "You can ask me anything."  We mixed it up pretty good-- photography, blogging, my Bishop Timlin obituary, fast food and assorted other topics.

Plus, there were big shoes to fill.  Several of my television brethren have been through the Froggy studio in recent weeks, many glib, articulate, and interesting people.  I never considered myself to be particularly interesting.  I vacation at Boscov's.  I consider a Whopper without mayonnaise to be a gourmet meal.  My car is nine years old.

It was a great time.  The Froggy 101 hour flew by, and I'm looking forward to hour number four.