Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Media Wednesday

It didn't take Megyn Kelly long to step in it, did it?

I'm impressed with how the major networks have been quick to dump regular programming to air the latest from Washington, and around the world.  That stuff costs money, but broadcasters do have the responsibility to inform.  The airwaves belong to the public, and all to often, some lose sight of that.

I'm a fan of JT the Brick, who does 8 to 11 PM on FOX Sports Radio.  When the local station is doing play by play, I usually ask my Amazon Echo to play WSAI AM 1360 in Cincinnati.  What a mess!  Two commercials often play at once, network rejoins are sloppy.  It's clear that the people who run the place don't listen to their own station.

Can any Gong Show revival come close to the original?  I understand the Chuck Barris version went off the air decades ago, so this is the Gong Show for the new generation.  I'm sure I'll give it a few minutes-- the curiosity factor.

The Scott Pelley replacement sweepstakes fascinates me.  I stand by my prediction.  Jeff Glor gets the CBS Evening News, but Norah O'Donnell, who now does the morning broadcast,  becomes chief anchor.  It will be very similar to the ABC arrangement.  I'm sure CBS is looking for some star power, but I don't see many stars available at the moment.

A recent study shows small town radio stations, that are part of local groups, owned by big companies, have been adding news.  Yay.  Radio is a spectacular medium for news.

The NFL has okayed hard liquor ads during its games.  We're used to them.  I doubt anyone will notice.