Friday, October 1, 2021

Cowie

 

This is the story of Cowie.

Let me back up a second.  I produced Newswatch 16 This Morning on Monday and Tuesday.  I'm the guy who picks the stories, where to put them, and does most of the writing.

Early Tuesday morning, I was going through "the feed."  It's a huge file of stories ABC does for local stations and it's also the stories ABC News collects from its affiliates around the country.

That's where I saw Cowie.  It was the story of an Arizona family that took in a Diamondbacks game.  Two year old Cruz Solis left Cowie at the stadium.  Mom called the ballpark.  A crew found Cowie.  The team mailed him home to little Cruz, but an employee took pictures of Cowie around the ballpark first.

Even though the story had a happy ending, it still broke my heart.  Cowie was a gift from Santa.  I don't recall a favorite stuffed animal in my own childhood, but I was imagining how sad Cruz was because he was without his Cowie.  Believe it or not, I do get sentimental about some things.

As I write this, I'm listening to the radio news.  Washington is fighting over the infrastructure bill.  A government  shutdown looms.  There is a crisis at the border.  We're in a pandemic.  Consumer confidence is shot.

I know TV news occasionally catches a little heat for devoting some time to fluff, especially the water skiing squirrel.

No regrets.  Not for a second.  Not for a millisecond.  

We all need a little Cowie.

Welcome home!