Thursday, October 14, 2021

Two Wrongs

 

The news landed with a thud on my front porch, and I couldn't believe what I was reading.

A green piece of paper was included in my morning newspaper-- the same newspaper my family has faithfully subscribed to for years, the one I pay for a year in advance!  Yes, I cut one check, once a year and I'm done with it.  That's commitment.

The green sheet said the newspaper can't find enough carriers, so it's turning delivery over to the United States Postal Service.

Are you kidding me?  This is your job!  Publish a newspaper and get it in to the hands of readers.

So, what you've done is take one troubled enterprise, print newspapers, and turned it over to another failing organization, the postal service.  Explain how that makes sense.

And, if that isn't enough, and I kid you not, I'm lucky if I get my mail by 6 pm these days.  Let's review.  It's a newspaper printed mostly the night before, and I'm getting it on the following evening, maybe.

Newspaper industry, you have signed your own death warrant.

The green sheet said the company said the paper is aggressively recruiting new carriers, and the paper via mail thing is only temporary.  We'll see.

Yes, there is the electronic option, but there are family members who still love holding that newspaper every morning.

As I've noted here in the past, I have great respect for the newspaper industry.  It starts with the men and women who report and write, the people who have to get things in exacting detail.  Then, there are the carriers who get the paper to your home in all sorts of weather.  Plus, there is the absolute magic of watching the big presses get cranked up.  I feel sorry for you if you've never experienced that.

My subscription is up next month.  Mr. Publisher, the clock is ticking.  Fix this!