Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Call Me Cynical

 

I'm not the only one who thinks this way...

If I had to bet money, I'd say Will Smith's slap of Chris Rock at the Academy Awards Sunday night was staged.

There.

I said it.

It just looked too fake and choreographed.  The broadcast director was right on top of it.

As the day rolled along, fewer and fewer people shared my opinion.  Even though I'm likely wrong, I still have questions.

It's sad that the fine work of so many men and women is overshadowed by what appears to be a stunt.  It's also sad that the movies and the broadcast were unable to stand on their own.

Rock declined to file a police report.  He should have.  Chris Rock was assaulted, but if bad taste was a crime, he would have been cited.

Smith's behavior would get you thrown out of a restaurant, or similar event.  It should have happened Sunday night, even though Smith did the noble thing of defending his wife.

We repeatedly hear celebrities preach about violence.  You can fill in the rest.