Friday, March 4, 2022

Wings

 

When the history of television is written, I suspect "Wings" won't be given much attention, and that's too bad.

The show was vastly underrated.  It was never a huge hit, but it did deliver dependable laughs for 172 episodes in the nineties.

A pair of brothers ran a struggling Nantucket airline, in a terminal filled with unusual characters.  Tim Daly and Steven Weber held it together, but the secondary characters made the show work-- especially Antonio the cab driver, Lowell the mechanic, and Roy, the operator of the rival airline.

I should note there is a CBS logo in the photo I stole.  Paramount produced "Wings."  It is now part of the CBS family, or vice versa.  First runs were on NBC.

Farrah Forke, pictured second from the left, played helicopter pilot Alex Lambert in 35 episodes.  Alex wasn't a particularly memorable character, but she did add a little spice for three seasons in the middle of the show's run.  We learned Wednesday that Forke died from cancer back on February 25.  She was only 54 years old.

I wasn't watching "Wings" in prime time and then fate intervened.  Back in the day, the day, "Wings" was all over the USA Network schedule.  It made sense.  Paramount owned USA years ago.  Paramount produced "Wings."  Do the math.  It was even a joke on "Married with Children."  Be that as it may, I was stuck in the house because I had the flu.  I channel surfed on to "Wings," and I was hooked.  The show still holds up today.

Farrah Forke appeared in several other projects after "Wings."  Gone too soon.