Thursday, October 12, 2023

A Good Thing

 

I do enough whining about the bad things in broadcasting.  Here is something I really enjoyed.

I got up early enough Monday night to catch the end of the football game between Green Bay and Las Vegas.  Kevin Harlan was doing the radio play by play.  I've mentioned before that I'm a big fan.  Monday night's performance was above and beyond a standard effort.  Harlan has been criticized for screaming, and going over the top.  The tight game warranted a high energy delivery, and I loved every second of it.  Analyst Mike Golic had the good sense to keep his mouth shut.  I never thought Golic brought much to the table, anyway.

I've long felt baseball is the best radio sport, followed by football.  Nothing else even comes close.  There has been quite a turnover in the broadcasting ranks in the past few years.  Some of the legends have stepped aside.  Young blood has taken their place.  I really can't say anyone blows me away.  If you grew up with Ray Scott, Curt Gowdy, Chris Schenkel, Pat Summerall, Keith Jackson, Jack Buck, Don Criqui, Dick Enberg, et al, it's tough to accept the new crop.  Thankfully, Al Michaels is still working.  I also realize no one tunes in a game because of the announcer, but a good one really helps.

I do need to open my mind, and my ears a bit more.  I'm sure there is some great talent out there, somewhere.

We should all do the same.  Turn off the TV some afternoon or evening and try the radio.