Friday, October 20, 2023

Winter

 

Meteorological winter begins December 1.  Astronomical winter begins December 22.  I'm ready to make the declaration that winter is already here.  You see, I pulled the air conditioner out of my bedroom winter Wednesday morning.

I have one of those split ductless units, which does a pretty good job, but my bedroom gets the afternoon sun.  I sleep during the day, not the cooler overnight hours, so I need the boost a window unit provides.

This year was no different-- installed in mid May, out in mid October.   It's not a huge unit, nor is it heavy.  It's just bulky and awkward.  As a person who already had a bad back, the twice yearly ritual is painful.  Why don't make these things with handles?  I've looked into those portable units, where all you do is wheel it in to place and stick a vent hose out the window.  For every good review, there are two bad ones.  It might be the only option in the years ahead, but we'll climb that mountain when we get there.

As a reporter and anchor, the weather is a big part of my life.  I've looked at every long range forecast.  El Nino usually means a milder winter.  The last two winters featured half of the snow we usually get.  I'm okay with both.  However, regular blog readers know I look at long range forecasts with a great deal of skepticism.  How did that forecast of a super destructive hurricane season work out?  I'm still waiting for the new ice age they frightened us with when I was in school.  Yes, I know.  I've seen the data.  Things are certainly much different than they used to be.

Let's just take it one "7 Day Forecast" at a time.

And, before I sign off for the day, my condolences to the family and friends of George Nowakowski.  He spent a lifetime in law enforcement, and he was always a man you could always deal with.