Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Is That All There Is?

 

The late night talk shows are back in production after the long writers' strike.  We waited five months for the same barrage of tired political jokes?  It's what I expected, but I was still disappointed.  Nothing fresh.  Nothing interesting.  And they wonder why viewership is down and why these shows no longer had the impact they once did.

As if Taylor Swift needed more face time, we now see her all over football games because she is dating a member of the Kansas City Chiefs.  That Sunday night game with the lowly New York Jets produced monster ratings.  While I'm not in Swift's target demographic, and I don't understand her appeal, I do respect Swift's ability to draw a crowd.  I fully expect the movie to break records later this month.

"Dancing with the Stars" is seen as a vehicle for flagging celebrities to revive their profiles.  I was surprised to see Mira Sorvino and Alyson Hannigan in the current line up.

I nailed a Final Jeopardy question Monday night that all three contestants missed.  Paying attention in history class paid off.

ESPN Radio is giving up its New York City FM station next year.  It will keep the AM station and concentrate on streaming.  I've often whined about the state of AM radio in this space.  It appears FM isn't far behind.  It's a streaming and on demand world, my friends.  By the way, ESPN Radio in New York was rarely a serious threat to the first all sports station in the nation, WFAN.

I'm very happy to report that the ratings company Nielsen says NFL games on the radio produce big numbers.  I still think baseball is the best radio sport, followed by football.  The others just don't work for me.

I really miss the days when CBS Radio had the contract to broadcast the baseball playoffs and World Series.  They would use legendary announcers, and listening was a joy.

I only add this item because I know it will get tons of radio and television time.  McDonald's is bringing back the McRib sandwich.  McDonald's is the Taylor Swift of fast food.  They know how to generate free publicity.