Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Wednesday Scrapple

 

I know it's fashionable to dislike John Denver, especially for people of my era, but the guy was really good!  I've been listening to the satellite radio 70's channel quite a bit (nothing new there).  Outstanding lyrics.

Speaking of music, I'm hooked on those old Casey Kasem "American Top 40" shows that Sirius/XM runs on weekends.  This past weekend featured October 1978, and I was struck by the eclectic nature of the top 40 that week-- a great mix consisting of top 40 pop, plus some disco, and rock hits from Foreigner, The Who, and the Rolling Stones.  We will never see another time like that.

Who can look at the fighting in the middle east, and not be frightened?

I touched on this briefly last week, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around how a can of soup that used to be 99 cents is now $ 3.49.  A lot of politicians have a lot of explaining to do next year.

Speaking of explaining, why do people still think Steelers' head coach Mike Tomlin is a genius?

I'm thrilled fall has returned.  A little October warmth is nice, but not the mid and upper 80's.

Not only is Taylor Swift's popularity red hot right now, she shows no signs of cooling off.

Friday was National Pierogi Day.  The truth be known:  I don't hate them, but they never thrilled me.

Target is closing nine stories because of excessive retail theft.  The dominoes are only beginning to tumble.

Nobel Prizes were handed out recently.  I don't know who said it first, but "I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize" still cracks me up.

I've been watching several clips from the old HBO series "The Newsroom" recently.  It was a flawed show, but it really had its moments.

Watching people run 26.2 miles in 2.5 hours still amazes me, and seeing so many locals volunteer their time makes me feel great about our area.

The "Maneater" performance from "No Hard Feelings" is simply outstanding.

I was watching some NFL highlights the other day, and the San Francisco 49'ers really have some nice uniforms.  Red and gold is a great color combination.