Thursday, July 14, 2016

Please, Stop

The legendary radio DJ known as The Greaseman calls them "geezer moments."  It's when he sets aside a little time to talk about the way things used to be.  Here is one of mine.

When I was a kid, we rode bikes, played board games, gin rummy, darts, wiffle ball, football, went to the store for a soda even though there was a case at home in the refrigerator, hung out on front porches and the little grassy area under the corner streetlight.  It was a kick when an older sibling or parent gave us a ride to the mall, or to the mini golf course.  We walked to the bowling alley and played pinball there too.  On occasion, my friends and I took the Colts bus downtown to wander around Globe, Oppenheim's, and lunch at Kresge's cafeteria.

It's why I can't wrap my head around this whole Pokemon Go thing.  Watching kids (and adults) wander around, staring at phones, collecting balls and points and whatever all seems so sad.  So anti social.

Yes, I'm out of the target audience age range for Pokemon Go.

If it was around when I was a kid, I probably would have played.  I'd likely regret it later.