Friday, August 13, 2021

Bank On It

 

A recent story in the Pittsburgh Tribune~Review caught my eye.  Citizens Bank is closing a few of its branches in western Pennsylvania.

Let's face facts.  People don't go to banks as often as they once did.  Pay and government checks come from direct deposits.  Bills get paid electronically.  You can even deposit a paper check remotely.  ATM's provide walking around money.

Jessup in Lackawanna County will soon lose its one and only bank.  Banks used to be the centers of towns.  Those days are over.  While it will be a nuisance for Jessup and a hole in the middle of a very nice downtown, it's not catastrophic.  There are still banks in neighboring towns, and there are all those electronic options.

Me?  I get paper checks once in a while, residuals from a couple of freelance projects.  I sincerely enjoy going to the bank to cash them.  The tellers are my friends.  One of the banks I visit has a real old timey feel, with the marble lobby and the huge vault.  It's a trip back in time and I really enjoy it.  I just wonder sometimes how long I'll get to have that experience.