Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Smooth Sailing

 

Once upon a time, I would check the baseball schedule to see when the local minor league team was playing Friday and Saturday night games.  I was interested to learn if I would encounter traffic issues on my way to work.

If that isn't enough, I'd tune in the games while I was getting dressed.

There is no longer a need.

The pandemic wiped out the 2020 season.  Even though the ballpark in Moosic cam be filled to be capacity, the fans just aren't there.

Yes, dear readers, there was a time when the stadium was filled every night and baseball was the hottest ticket in town.  Police would direct traffic where Montage Mountain Road meets Davis Street and Interstate 81.  Now, that intersection is busy, but no police required.

What happened?  Are we reluctant to attend events with hundreds, maybe thousands of other people? Are we tired of baseball?  Is the team doing a lousy job of promotions?

No answers, but some disturbing questions.