Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Being Social

 


A recent blog post noted how my recent vacation was more social than most.  Allow me to go in to detail on one incident.

This all started a few years ago.  A high school friend called me out of the blue and wanted to get together.  I declined.  And, I declined two more invitations.  My schedule is bizarre, even on my days off.  I did feel badly about blowing off an old friend.  A vacation eventually rolled around and I told my friend to pick a day and place.  I'll make it happen.  That led to getting together two or three times a year.

Of course, we skipped 2020.

When my most recent vacation week arrived, my friend arranged a small gathering of high school classmates in his back yard, some I hadn't seen in more than forty years.  It was nothing extravagant.  Just a few of us sitting around a fire pit.

Have you ever agreed to something, and then instantly regretted it?  Well, that was me a couple of weeks ago.  We've all gone in very different directions.  Some in manufacturing.  Some in construction.   I write.   They hunt and fish.  I take photographs.  They've traveled.  I've stayed close to home.    They've raised families.  I've never found someone crazy enough to marry me.  They build things.  I write things. They camp.  My view of "roughing it" is staying in a hotel with bad cable.  I feared an awkward evening with a bunch of people, and nothing in common.  No one is better than anyone else, just different.  I should add that I have never attended a high school reunion and I don't see one in my future.

Well, the big night rolled around, and I had the greatest time!

We talked about the old days and what's happened over the past forty years.  We talked about the future.

There were plenty of laughs, plus a few sad moments when we remembered the people who are no longer around.

There are times when nothing in common is a good thing.  You ask questions and learn about the different paths people have taken.

I don't know if there will ever be another night like that one, but I sincerely hope some of us will get together again.