Monday, May 1, 2023

History: Lost and Found, Part I

 Fire destroyed an old slaughterhouse along Hull Avenue in Olyphant back in February.  Below is a photo I took a few days after the flames were out.

It was a big, hulking building-- a danger and an eyesore.  I'm glad no one was hurt putting out the fire, and I'm sure no one was sorry to see it go.

I spied something else when I was here, and those photos are below.

The remnants of an old auto dealer are part of the complex.  I hoped someone would save the Studebaker logo above one of the doors.

When I stopped by recently to see the demolition, I didn't see it in the rubble.  Much of it had already been carted away.  The demolition workers were too busy to talk.

Below is what's left of the auto building.

The Studebaker logo would have been above the entrance at the right corner of this photo.

I know there are salvage businesses that specialize in saving things like the logo, and I hope they paid a visit here.  It would be a shame if it was destroyed.

Tomorrow, a bit of unexpected archaeology at the site!