Wednesday, May 31, 2023

D!?

 



Full disclosure:  I graduated from Marywood College in Scranton, now Marywood University, in 1983.  I have used this space to express my feelings on things the school has done well, and things the school has done poorly.

The student news site (can't call it a "newspaper" because it doesn't publish in print) has been doing this thing the last several years, where the students issue a grade.

This year, Marywood merits a "D."

Are you kidding me?

The article on the web site lays it all out-- things that have gone well, areas where the writers feel the school has come up short.  I get it.  Marywood is running in the red.  Things are changing.  There aren't as many faculty members and staffers as there used to be.  Safety/security is always a worry.

My concerns deal with that D.

All I can picture is a high school kid, in a bedroom or library, researching prospective colleges.  The kid sees the D, and quickly moves on to the next school.    Why would anyone want to go to a college where the students grade it a D?  You've lost a student, a customer.  A sad cycle begins anew.

I applaud the students for exposing what they see as deficiencies, areas where Marywood has fallen short.  Every organization can benefit from a critical eye.

However, there are more elegant and creative ways to say it.