Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Major Minor

 

The Major League Baseball All Star Game is set for tonight in Seattle.  As I've done a few times in recent years,  the half way point of the season seems to be a good time to pass along a few thoughts on the state of the game.

I'll begin with the minor league operation here in our area.

Above is a picture of the Moosic ballpark taken from a restaurant parking lot high above.  This used to be a great place from which to shoot, but as you can see, the trees now obscure the view.  I used to love this vantage point, but I do like trees, so I won't complain.

However, I will complain about this...  The last time I saw a game here was ten years ago.  I'm sure it's still a fun experience, but I understand a night at the stadium has become rather pricey-- from the parking, to the tickets, to the food and drink.  I get that.  On the other hand, this is minor league baseball in a small town, and the team appears to be pricing itself out of the market.

I do wonder about attendance.  There was a time I dreaded heading in to work when the "crowd" from a game was leaving.  Now, it's a breeze.

On to the majors...  

I didn't like the enlarged bases, and I still don't.  I don't think it's made much of an impact on the game.  I do like the pitch clock.  The game moves faster, and that is something baseball badly needed.

There are still some problems.  The owner of the Oakland A's refuses to field a competitive team.  I don't know why that's tolerated.  The sorry state of the once great Kansas City Royals bothers me.  It's nice to see the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Baltimore Orioles doing better, a pair of legendary franchises.  You can find games on television on several channels.  While the availability is nice, finding a game to watch can be maddening at times.  Baseball now has some fine young stars, and that's great.

I'm sorry that baseball is no longer considered America's Pastime.  It seems like it's just filling time until college football and the NFL begin their new seasons.