Wednesday, July 19, 2023

The Craft

 

I know one thing about acting:  I can't do it.

It doesn't mean I haven't tried, or been forced in to it.

As you might remember, a few of my co-workers had small parts in "Designated Survivor" and "Quantico."  In fact, some made several appearances.

Don't ask me why, but I was selected.  I fought it and wanted no part of it.  I wasn't on a high journalistic moral and ethical horse.  After all, Walter Cronkite was on the "Mary Tyler Moore Show" in the 70's.  Several other network anchors and reporters appeared on "Murphy Brown."  It simply made me uncomfortable, and I knew others on the staff wanted a shot at it.  I gladly offered to step aside for them.

Be that as it may, a former manager strongly recommended that I do it, if you catch my drift.  I don't recall when the "Quantico" piece was recorded here and shipped off to Hollywood.  I do remember my part in "Designated Survivor" was recorded as the Blizzard of  '17 raged outside.  I spent the day in the snow, and I didn't bring dress clothes to the office.  I borrowed stuff from Scott Schaffer.  What's left of my hair looked worse than usual because of getting soaked and wearing ball caps all day.

I did it.  It didn't take long.  It really was no big deal.

Many here were surprised when I declined to play the game.  They shouldn't have been.  I don't need the validation and I never enter awards competitions.  I have no issues with those who do.  Once again, it's just not my thing.  I simply do the best job I can every day, and that satisfaction is enough for me.  I don't need a statue.

I never saw the "Quantico" episode in which I appeared.  "Designated Survivor" was an embarrassment and I'm glad I didn't tell anyone in advance about my appearance.  I was a blurry image on a television, in the distance, in the home of some bureaucrat.  You might have recognized the voice.  My face was unrecognizable.  It didn't stop me from cashing the checks.

It wasn't that much off the top, and I still do receive tiny residuals when my episodes sell somewhere.   The envelopes come from the union, SAG-AFTRA.  I'm not a member, but I was invited to join.  I did consider it, until I saw the initiation fee and the dues.  Pass!

The initial fee was nice.  The residuals are what we used to call "hoagie money" when I was in radio.  It did complicate my yearly income tax filing.  Some of the money comes through New York, so I have to do some paperwork for Albany.  It's a major headache for something I never wanted to do in the first place.

I do feel sorry for the writers and the actors on the picket line.  Writing is tough.  Creative writing is even more difficult.  As far as acting goes, many are called.  Few are chosen.  For every actor making big money, there are a thousand others scraping by.  Plus, there is the collateral damage.  A lot of people in businesses that supply studios with food and everything else are hurting.

A big part of the dispute involves artificial intelligence, and how many actors' roles can be replaced by computers.  Good luck fighting emerging technology.  Buggy whips are gone because the automobile arrived.  It's a contest that's been waged for centuries.

I'm not sure how this all will end, but I do know it will be a much different business when it's over.