Thursday, September 9, 2021

A Craw Sticker

 

This one has been sticking in my craw for a while.  It's time to exorcise the demon.

I should start by saying our friends at the Times ~ Tribune are doing a fantastic series this week on Scranton area property developers.  It's well done, and I'm enjoying every word.

This blog entry has been on my agenda for a while, so here goes.

The shabby old hotel at Franklin and Mulberry in downtown Scranton was recently sold.  The buyer/developer has floated a plan for a mixed use building in this space-- retail, office, residential.

Fantastic!

No one will argue that the hotel needs to stay.  It has to go.  It's run down.  It's an eyesore at one of the city's major entrances.  It's sad, because this was a nice Holiday Inn at one time-- complete with a good restaurant and ball rooms.  Plus, there was plenty of easy parking.  I spent many an election night here.

Here's where the craw comes in.  The proposed replacement will tower 17 stories over the city!  17!

I'm all for thinking big, and a 17 story building will make quite an entry statement as you cross the Mulberry Street bridge.

It's more than the look of the building.  It has to be appropriate for the site, and I just think Scranton is not a 17 story building city.  As an old radio program director would have said, it will stick out like a boil on a baby's arse.

I do get it.  The point is to stick out.  The developer, who has done several restoration projects, should be applauded for past, present and future efforts.  He's really stepped up in recent years.

I'm just not sold on Scranton's new skyscraper.