Saturday, September 11, 2021

Andy's Angles: 20

 

There's an old saying that goes: "Unless you were buried under rubble, no one cares where you were on 9/11"

I haven't written about it much on past anniversaries, but I'll make a very brief exception this year because it is the 20th.

By the way, the photo above is the McDade Park, Scranton 9/11 memorial.  Simple, elegant and in a lovely location.

I was on vacation, alone, in Baltimore back in 2001.  It was a tough day to be away from family and friends, and I cut the vacation short.  I was home the next day.

When the planes hit, I was in my car, on the beltway, on my way to do some sight seeing, so I didn't see the video until hours later.  Some things remain with me-- the people crying as they watched televisions in a shopping mall, the stores closing, people running for the doors, the beltway at a crawl because everything shut down at once.  I had dinner in a Wendy's near my hotel.  The place was packed.  No one made a sound.  I've never experienced that many, so quiet, for so long.

9/11 was a day when we shared our grief, and it seems to have affected everyone differently.