Sunday, December 31, 2023

Top Ten: Harrisburg

 

Now, my favorite photo of 2023...

I found myself in Harrisburg the morning of January 17th, for the Shapiro inauguration.

This photo was taken around 4:00 am.  It was just, me, some security guards, and photographer Jason.

Even though I've been here dozens of times, this sight never ceases to inspire awe.

This is a camera phone shot.  I didn't take my good gear because I like traveling light.  I'm still kicking myself over that.  I shipped the photo off to a drug store for enlargement, but it was declined over a lack of definition if it was blown up.

There are also plenty of memories.  My dad used to take me here when he had to drop off things for PennDOT.  I will never forget the morning we were walking through the building and ran in to Gov. Milton Shapp.  He shook our hands, asked where we were from, and chatted for a moment.  It was so cool.

I was here for Gov. Casey's first inauguration and Gov. Ridge's first, and Gov. Wolf's first and second.  Gov. Shapiro was added to my list this year.  Another reason this was my favorite photo of the year is this is likely my last visit to the capitol.  When the next gubernatorial inauguration rolls around, I will be past retirement age.  It doesn't mean I will definitely be retired, but it is something to consider.

Be that as it may, thank you for reading the entries this year, as well as looking at the photos.

Happy New Year's Eve!