Saturday, March 9, 2024

Andy's Angles: About the Cover

 

I really haven't done any railroad pictures on the blog since the first of the year, so I thought it was high time.

This photo is the result of a little wandering around the Reading and Northern yard in Pittston last month.  This area was one of my white whales.  There were always great opportunities here, but no safe place to park.  On top of that, to get a good photo, you would have to trespass, and I do respect boundaries.

That all changed last year when this became a passenger terminal for trips to and from Jim Thorpe.


Suddenly, you had a station, and parking, and safe and easy access.  It is a train lover's delight.  By the way, the Jim Thorpe trips resume next month.  The electronic message board says more than 300,000 people took the trips last year, and that's amazing!

Plus, the engine on the header photo is green and it is St. Patrick's month.  That fact was lost on me when I took the photos and prepared the header.