Saturday, March 2, 2024

Andy's Angles: Chovtzkin's

 

One of the neat things about my job is I get to jump in someone else's car and travel off to see interesting things.  A viewer emailed to say the legendary Chovtzkin's Bakery in Dickson City was being torn down.  The actual retail part still stands, as apartments.  The portion of the business where they made outstanding bread, rolls and pastries was being bulldozed.

Regular readers know I went to junior high school a few blocks away, so there was an occasional lunch time visit to Chovtzkin's.  It was run by a sweet, older couple and every product was great.  I was partial to the turnovers.

Photographer Tim and I stopped by Dickson City borough hall to do a little fact checking and to make sure my memory was correct.  It was a great time reminiscing about the way things used to be in small town America.  Mom and pop markets.  Bakeries.  Ice cream shops.  Pizza.

The bakery closed and the Chovtzkins passed long ago.  There were some great memories here.