Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Sunrise Silence

 

We flipped to Daylight Saving Time Sunday morning, and I can't say DST are my favorite months of the year.  As a third shift worker, I like my sunshine in the morning rather than at night.

This year's switch was a little different.  

No one in Harrisburg or Washington was yammering about picking Standard Time or Daylight Saving time and sticking with it, year 'round.  As Newswatch 16's Ally Gallo reported Friday morning, efforts to pick one and keep it are just about dead.

I suspect you'll see some chatter in the fall, because those early sunsets aren't very popular, at all, except with me.  Some politician will be looking for a quick headline and a little face time.  Bills will be introduced, again, that will go nowhere.

There are advantages to two standards, and advantages to sticking with one.  No one is thrilled with an 8:30 am sunrise, especially parents who have to send their kids to school in the dark.  I experienced that during the energy crisis of the 70's, when we switched to DST early.  Believe me, it was no big deal.  I still found my way to the bus stop in the dark.  I can see how the people in agriculture wouldn't like it.

If we did change, it would be a couple years of adjustment and the routine would become normal.  Maybe we should give it a try.

As I say here, twice a year, I'm just tired of talking about something that will never happen.