Friday, March 22, 2024

Let's Do Shots Before Philosophy Class!

 Let me tell you about the Marywood College of my my era.

There were no dorms for men back then.  No worries.  I lived two miles from campus, and there was plenty of apartment space around the city if I wanted to make a move.  Many of my classmates did.

At the dorms for females, men weren't allowed past the lobby.

There was a strict anti alcohol policy.  In fact, dorm girls weren't even allowed to use an empty beer or wine bottle as a vase!

Hey, those were the rules.  They were clearly advertised.  If you didn't like them, there were plenty of other colleges or universities willing to take your money.  If you were old enough to drink, Scranton had plenty of bars back then.  It still does.  As opposed to my era, every mini mart now has a liquor license, and some are just a few blocks from campus.

Imagine my shock and surprise when I read on the student news web site that the the company that has the university's food service contract applied for a liquor license.  Yes, "The Wood Word" clued me in, but the photos are mine.  Welcome to the "Pacer Pub."  It seems destined for the student center, called Nazareth Hall.


Nazareth Hall is already home to Marywood's E Sports center, another move that leaves me shaking my head, but that is another story for another time.

I'm a traditionalist.  I'm old school, pardon the pun.  I'm not a Neanderthal.  I know colleges and universities have to compete for the higher education dollar, an increasingly competitive industry.  You need the latest and the greatest.  You need to stay with the times.  There is still much we don't know about the operation of the "Pacer Pub."  It seems to me to be an effort to show Marywood is more than that quiet nunnery on the hill, that it is a modern institution.  I also have no problem with the responsible use of alcohol.  

However, this seems to be the wrong place at the wrong time.