Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Bridges

 

If you're been reading this blog for any length of time, you will know that one of my phobias is driving over big bridges that cross large bodies of water.

I remember those terror filled moments on the Tappan Zee bridge over the Hudson River as a kid.  We'd make family trips to visit relatives in Bridgeport, CT.  As if Bridgeport wasn't bad enough, you had to cross that bridge to get there.

As I matured and started taking vacations on my own, I became very fond of the Baltimore/Annapolis area.  It's beautiful.  Unfortunately, using bridges and tunnels are a must.

I've driven the Bay Bridge.  I've driven the Key Bridge, the one that collapsed Tuesday morning, when a barge hit a support.  It fell down in a heap.  My stomach sank when I saw the amazing video.  My heart went out to the drivers and passengers on the bridge.  At least, it happened in the middle of the night.  I can imagine the death and injuries if the collapse happened in the middle of the morning or afternoon rush.

I should add that being in a newsroom is an amazing place when a major news story hits.  Buzzers and alarms go off.  The Associated Press and ABC News start popping with closed circuit advisories.  It's non stop action and activity.

I don't mean to be insensitive.  People lost their lives.  The loss of the bridge will have a huge economic impact.

My only hope is we've learned something about ship traffic and bridge construction.