Friday, March 8, 2024

Follow Up Friday

 

Last week's entry on a family bakery in Dickson City touched off one of those wonderful newsroom discussions.  Every small town back in the day had at least one bakery and they were all great.  Supermarkets have really stepped up their games in recent years, but you can't beat the charm of a mom and pop bakery.

I don't know if it's happening more, or if its being reported more, but it still fascinates me that some people have the onions to load up a cart and simply wheel it out of a store.  Why?  Because they know they can get away with it.  That has to change if American brick and mortar retail is to survive.

I really enjoyed the whipping Wendy's took over that half baked surge pricing idea.  This could have been one of the biggest disasters in American business history.

I've mentioned here in the past that I enjoy getting hair cuts because I like having my hair on the shorter side, and my barber is an absolutely delightful woman.  However, the thing that drives me nuts is the window when your hair isn't too short and isn't too long is just a few days.

The death of someone I grew up watching on TV always saddens me.  Former CBS News correspondent David Culhane died last week.  93.  Quiet dignity.  A reporter's reporter.

The woes of the radio industry have been chronicled here in the past.  I love radio.  WFME AM 1560 in New York recently went off the air, and it might never come back.  For decades, this was WQXR, a classical music station owned by the New York Times.  The current owner, Family Radio,  had to move transmitter sites a few times and there were a host of technical issues, leading to the station going silent.  I get it, but I'm troubled.  This place was legendary.

I have yet to hear anyone talk about the new CBS 12:30 am show.

The Academy Awards is coming up Sunday night.  I haven't been a theater since 2012, and I don't stream anything.  However, it was nice to see movies people actually watched nominated this year.  I know it won't happen, but I'm expecting the ceremony to be a political affair.  Just stop it!  People want entertainment Sunday night.

Discover card has a new batch of radio commercials featuring actress Jennifer Coolidge.  They are simply unlistenable, and they make me want to cancel my account.  I can't believe some ad agency and the Discover people thought those spots would attract business.

I'm the first to yap about poorly done radio, but WTOP in Washington was simply outstanding Super Tuesday night and into the next morning.