Monday, March 4, 2024

Ghost of a Chance

 

I like spicy.  I don't like excessively hot.

As I was wandering the aisles of a big box store the other day, this jumped out at me.  Campbell's Ghost Pepper Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup.  A couple of cans found their way into my cart and I couldn't wait to try it.

As the cold wind howled outside, I warmed up a can in a pot on the stove.  It looked and smelled great.  It was your typical Campbell's product-- decent noodles, vegetables, and broth.  Light on the meat.  Very light on the meat.

Of course, the big question is the heat level.  So many products bill themselves as "spicy" or "hot" and they fail to deliver.  Regular readers will remember when I whined about lackluster jalapeno cheese a few weeks ago.  This stuff delivers, and then some.  In fact, it's too hot for me.

I will occasionally add a pinch of cayenne to canned soups for a little kick.  This product goes above and beyond.  I'm glad it lived up to the billing.

I'm not sorry I bought it, but I don't think I'll purchase it again.  I never thought I'd say this, but it's too hot for me.