Thursday, April 18, 2024

Daily Double: First Person + #Sad

 

Let's establish something right from the beginning.  The following statements have nothing to do with any particular politician or political party.  It is merely an observation of the times in which we live.

Understand?

My Tuesday morning Newswatch 16 assignment was to do set up pieces for President Biden's visit to Scranton.  I was at the airport taking two angles.  One was Biden's history of visits.  The other was a look ahead to what was on the president's schedule.  Photographer Tim and I were at the airport before the major dome of security had descended.  It was a nice, quiet morning, with a fantastic sunrise.

After we wrapped up at 7:00 am, Tim and I had a couple of non presidential items on our list so we headed to the up valley and mid valley sections of Lackawanna County.  We wrapped up our tasks in an efficient manor, so I asked Tim to take the long way back to the office.  I was curious as to how Green Ridge and Downtown Scranton looked just before the president's visit.


North Washington Avenue was a "no parking" zone from Marywood University all the way to Lackawanna Avenue.  Downtown was where the real fun began.  Trash packmasters blocked the area near the Scranton Cultural Center.  What the garbage trucks didn't block, the dump trucks did.  Police and security were everywhere-- heavily armed.  It looked like a war had broken out.

I understand the need for security.  There are plenty of angry people out there, and protestors were everywhere.  Yes, the vast, vast majority of the protestors are peaceful people who have passion concerning their causes.  They're good people.  You can't take a chance.  I also understand the need for protest.  This country was built upon a protest.  It was called the American Revolution.

My ride home on Interstate 81 was uneventful.  I was about an hour ahead of the president.  Still, I could see the police at every overpass, at every cross over.  Penndot had big trucks waiting to block exits.  Again, I understand that.

It doesn't mean I have to like it.

I can still see that old newsreel film of John F. Kennedy's visit to the area-- the big crowds, free access.   Now, audiences are hand picked to ensure their friendliness.   During my broadcasting "career," I recall walking up to politicians and simply asking questions.  Governors, vice presidents, presidential and vice presidential candidates, people running for house, senate, and governor.  Now, reporters and photographers are kept in pens like animals because we might dare to ask a question.  And, there are places where we are threatened.  Serious threats.  Candidates and those already in office make announcements on web sites and You Tube because that is easier and safer than looking voters and journalists in the eye.

I respect the flag and I'm very proud of our Democracy (capital D).  I've voted in every election in which I've been eligible, and that will never change.

But...

We have to fix this.