Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Here's to Erie!

 

It was great to see Erie in the spotlight, or the total darkness, Monday.  The northwestern Pennsylvania city was in the path of the total solar eclipse.  The clouds parted long enough for people there to get a great look at the eclipse.

I'm fond of the city.

My first visit was in the spring of 1994, and I was covering Tom Ridge's gubernatorial campaign.  A photographer and I took the long way out-- across Route 6.  It was a long drive, but one of the most scenic-- small towns, historic courthouses, trains...

As fate would have it, there was a near total eclipse on that first visit.

I became so fond of the Route 6 journey that I took it several times, recreationally, over the years.  

Erie has come a long way.  The area along the bay has been developed.  A lot of the old, grimy, industrial sites are gone and it's a lovely place to visit.

The only drawback is the nine month long winter.

I really wasn't into photography as much back then, so I don't have any photos to share, but if you ever get the chance, stop by.  You won't be sorry.

Friends tell stories that they had a great time in Erie Monday.  I saw the video.  The city is looking good.

I think Erie has turned the corner and no longer is the joke of Pennsylvania.