Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Vote 2024

 


Primary election day has finally arrived.

Let's just say it won't be a suspense filled evening.  Yes, there are some contested races, but, for the most part, plenty of candidates, especially incumbents have no opposition.  that makes me sad.  Always did.  Always will.  I do realize campaigns can be nasty and expensive, but someone has to do it.

Joe Biden's opposition for the Democratic presidential nomination, Dean Phillips, dropped out months ago, after a campaign that never really started.  Donald Trump's opponent, Nikki Haley, left the race after her Super Tuesday disaster.  Therefore, the case can be made to move up the Pennsylvania primary.  I was never really a fan of that.  Ask someone in the northern tier to vote on a cold, snowy, and icy day.  My opposition to an early primary lessened after main-in voting and drop boxes entered the picture.  You can vote from the comfort of your own home, without braving the elements.

Bob Casey and Dave McCormick will win their party's senate nominations easily today.  They have no opposition.  Both advertised heavily, anyway, to keep their names out there.  I'm sure there will be a little bit of a lull between today's primary and Labor Day.  After that, look out!  This will be a bruising contest, and that is putting it mildly.

I won't be voting today because I'm an Independent.  We have to sit out the primaries.  There have been attempts at change in Harrisburg.  There is strong opposition to opening primaries to Independents, and I doubt it will ever happen.

Regardless, I finished my election day preview stories weeks ago.  You'll see them on Newswatch 16 This Morning.

After work, it's home for a nap so I can see the numbers roll in tonight.

I'll try to squeeze in a little analysis here tomorrow.  

Please, vote if you can.

And one other note on how cameras are kept out of polling places when we should be celebrating freedom...  former Associated Press reporter Terry Anderson died over the weekend.  He was held hostage in Lebanon for seven years, just for doing his job.  It's a crime he was held so long.  Terry Anderson was 76.