Friday, April 12, 2024

Mixed Messages

 

There is a new book on the life of Barbara Walters, and the cover is above.

She was a trailblazer and every woman in the news business today owes her a debt of gratitude.  Barbara Walters was a fascinating individual.

Here is where the problem comes in.  I've read excerpts, and the book savages Harry Reasoner and Howard K. Smith-- two of the ABC News old guard.  Maybe they deserve it, and the book does appear to be well-sourced.  But, I just hate hammering people who aren't around to defend themselves.

Walters and Reasoner co-anchored what was then called the "ABC Evening News" in 1976, and it was a disaster.  Reasoner didn't want her there, and let's face it, Barbara Walters wasn't a very good news anchor.  She excelled in reporting and interviews, where she was later shifted at ABC.

Will I read "Rulebreaker?"  There is a good chance.  I have a growing stack of books I intend to devour, possibly when I have some time off this summer.

Just remember, some people aren't as awful as they might appear.