Monday, May 16, 2016

Help Wanted

We have some openings on the WNEP staff, and we're always banking resumes for future openings.  It's a fluid business, to say the least.  We have a solid core of veterans, but there are always those who, for a variety of reasons, seek new challenges.  That's okay.  That's the way the television business works.

It seems like there's a new applicant coming in every day for an interview and a tour.  A lot of people want to work with us.  The station has a very good reputation, and that's flattering.

I do enjoy watching the applicants come in.  A lot of them are young and aiming high, taking a shot at a job they might not be ready for.  I admire the pluck.  You miss 100 per cent of the shots you never take.  I'm not privy to what happens behind closed doors, but I have seen cases, elsewhere, where a manager is impressed by a job seeker and gives them the gig, hoping they will grow in to it.  I've seen it work.  I've seen it fail.

It has been said the victory is in the journey, not the destination.  I've learned something from every interview I've ever been on, even if I didn't get the job.

High schools and colleges are pumping out graduates this month and next.  A lot of young people are entering the work force, and there are even people with experience who find themselves looking for something.  Best of luck.  Keep trying.  Good things will happen.